Combining rich reading, audio and illustration content into a single activity, Axel Scheffler’s Flip Flap Farm is a deceptively simple and brilliant idea that will keep children playing and reading. Swipe any part of the screen to create 121 different combinations of animal halves, rhymes and silly, hybrid animal names – all read aloud and set to farmyard music. What do you get when you cross a dog and a squirrel? That would be a dirrel, of course! How about a mouse and a rabbit? Why, a mabbit, naturally!
The app, which is exclusive to the App Store, features:
- User-friendly interface that’s perfect for very young children.
- Clean, elegant design showcasing rich artwork by Axel Scheffler, illustrator of The Gruffalo (10 million picture book sales world wide, Oscar-nominated animated short adaptation).
- Rhyming texts developed by storytelling experts.
- Text highlighting to support emerging and early readers.
- Original music and child actor narration.
“Axel Scheffler’s Flip Farm contains 11 animals; with 121 possible combinations that create silly, simple names and a solid language experience. Swipe the two halves of each character to create new animals and hear each poem read aloud; or you can swipe on the blocks of text, to change the animal — a nice touch.”
Editor’s Choice Award
– Children’s Technology Review
“The accessible vocabulary, read to me option, and text highlighter are tailored for emerging readers, making this app perfect for education as well as entertainment. Illustrator Axel Scheffler’s wide-eyed cartoon creatures jibe perfectly with the app’s silly tone, while a jaunty musical score and touch-activated animal sounds enhance the overall experience.”
“Axel Scheffler was the illustrator for The Gruffalo, among other books. And Nosy Crow has made a succession of well-crafted book-apps for children. They’re a match made in heaven for parents, then, and their latest app is great fun.”
“Scheffler’s bright, colorful illustrations combine with wordplay for a winner.”