We are looking for the right person to join our full-colour books team as an Editor or Senior Editor. Working closely with the Editorial Director, Head of Picture Books and Head of Non-Fiction, and our talented design team, you will be project-managing your own picture book, non-fiction, activity and novelty titles, including the books we are making for and with The National Trust and The British Museum. You’ll be passionate about children’s books, with a good understanding of both the UK and international markets, and you’ll be committed to making high quality, commercial titles that stand out from the crowd and have strong child-appeal.
Your role will include:
- Project-managing a number of your own titles from acquisition to publication
- Liaising with authors, agents and illustrators
- Coming up with great ideas for picture, non-fiction, activity and novelty books
- Editing texts and writing your own texts
- Writing excellent back cover and sales copy
The successful candidate, who will probably be educated to degree level, will…
- Have proven editorial and proof-reading skills
- Have an eye for detail and a passion for accuracy
- Have perfect written and spoken English
- Have at least two years’ children’s book editorial experience (probably more and probably in illustrated books). This is essential, so please don’t apply for the job unless you have this!
- Have a strong visual sense and an eye for design
- Have an interest in, and knowledge of, the UK and international children’s illustrated book market
- Be a hardworking, sparky and enthusiastic team player
- Be organised and reliable
- Be determined but tactful and have excellent presentation and communication skills
- Be flexible: we’re a small team, and we all have to muck in
We want someone who. . .
- Can spot a text with potential at a hundred paces
- Can turn a good text into a great one
- Is curious about a wide range of subjects and knowledgeable about a few
- Isn’t afraid of writing themselves and have a bit of a creative spark: people who are into crafts of any kind are particularly welcome
- Is bursting with ideas for new titles
We’ve left the job title – and the level of the job – a little bit flexible because finding the person that fits is more important to us than that person being at a particular level.
This a fantastic opportunity to be part of one of the UK’s most exciting and fastest-growing children’s publishers. Please send your CV and a covering letter to our Editorial Director, Camilla Reid, either by email ([email protected]) or by post (Nosy Crow, 10a Lant Street, London, SE1 1QR).
Closing date: 13 December 2015
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.