Last week we mentioned the pom pom decorations that adorned the office for our Christmas party – and today we thought we’d show you how to make them yourself! If you’d like to make your own giant pom-poms, here are step-by-step instructions (with photographic aids) – click each picture to enlarge.
You will need:
– Sheets of tissue paper (50 ×75 cm, though any size works, it will just change the size of the final pom pom)
– Scissors or scalpel
– Thread or string (we used invisible thread)
How to make them:
1. Lay 10 sheets of tissue paper on top of one another. We used white, but you can use a range of colour for different effects. Concertina fold (like an accordion) the sheets along the length of the paper, at roughly 6 cm (2.5 inch) intervals till you have one long strip.
2. Staple this strip in the middle. Wind and tie your thread around the middle, leaving enough length free to hang your pom-pom up with. (As we used invisible thread we stuck a bit of masking tape on the end so we could spot it easily.)
3. On each end of the strip, cut a curve to the top to create a soft edge for your pom-pom.
4. Then fan out your strip into a lovely sun shape.
5. Now for the fluffing: take the top layer of the tissue paper on one side and gently pull it up.
6. Do the same on the alternative side.
7. Repeat on alternative sides until you are half way through your layers (5 sheets of tissue paper). Flip your pom pom over and do the same on this side until you have fluffed all the layers and have one lovely pom pom.
9. Now repeat 65 times.
10. Then ask the lovely Tom to help hang them all, in the final few hours before your Christmas party. Enjoy!
No Responses to “Make your own party pom poms!”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.