The next meeting of the Nosy Crow Reading Group is taking place next week – and there are still a few places left if you’d like to come along!
We’ll be discussing The Marvels, by Brian Selznick, on Wednesday, November 18 at 6.30pm, here at the Nosy Crow offices – 10a Lant Street, London, SE1 1QR. It’s an absolutely stunning book – beautifully illustrated by Selznick, and incredibly produced, with gold foil edges.
As usual, we have a few questions prepared for discussion – here’s some of what we might talk about on the evening:
- How successfully do you think The Marvels balances text and illustration? Did you prefer one element over the other? Is either more suited to telling a story?
- How well do you think Selznick handles the distinction between fact and fiction in the book?
- Who do you think The Marvels is “for”?
- How do you think the relationship between reader and text, and reader and character, functions in The Marvels?
And here are a few interesting links:
- You can read the New York Times review of the book here
- Here’s an interesting Wall Street Journal piece on how Selnick made his trailer for the book
- Listen to a discussion on The Marvels in the September episode of Down the Rabbit Hole here
If you’d like to come along, you can register for a place with the form below, or at this page.