Nosy Crow recognise the need to be flexible to ensure that children across the world continue to have access to books. As we adjust to the ‘new normal’ we are working out flexible ways to grant permission while ensuring that creators’ IP is also protected.
Nosy Crow is allowing schools to continue class-shared reading and virtual story times.
- These videos can only be recorded, read and uploaded on closed educational platforms such as Google classroom, Moodle or Dojo.
- We request that these videos are removed after two months of posting.
- Where readings on closed educational platforms are not possible, please email Nur ([email protected]) and Stephanie ([email protected]) before any recording takes place and outline the following:
Subject Line: ONLINE READING- EDUCATIONAL .
- School and County
- Title, author/illustrator
- Platform you would like to use to host the reading
- Date and time the reading/broadcast will take place
For booksellers, librarians and bloggers:
Those who wish to provide a story time reading during this time to assist those who may be isolating or to negate the impact of closures, we are permitting the above individuals to share read aloud videos, with displays of the book live, in real time on social media platforms. To be granted permission we require the following:
- You must email Stephanie ([email protected] ) and Nur ([email protected] ) before the event takes place.
- The author and illustrator as well as Nosy Crow (@Nosycrowbooks) to be tagged wherever the video is shared.
- Ensure that the author and illustrator are credited AT THE START of the video as well as in any description box available.
- The phrase ‘with permission of Nosy Crow Ltd’ must be used.
- Where possible, include buy links for the book so that authors and illustrators may benefit from free use of their IP.
Once a live reading has concluded, these videos need to be removed from your account. Most social media platforms archive live events, so you must locate the recorded video and remove it.
These are only applicable for non-commercial free use online readings in the English language. If you wish to monetise, or have a reading uploaded for more than 24 hours, you must email [email protected] and will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
We receive many requests to reproduce extracts from our titles. These are generally described as “permissions”. Please note there is usually a charge for permissions requested for commercial purposes.
You may apply for permission via email ([email protected]). If at all possible, please state the title, author and illustrator, the extent of the extract you want to use, the type of use (i.e. is it merchandise or commercial for an education textbook? Online only or will you print? etc), and any other information you may think useful.
Regrettably, we cannot accept telephone enquiries about permissions. Please note that although all requests are dealt with as quickly as possible, due to the enormous number of requests we receive it is important to get in touch as far ahead of your deadline as you can.