We have a really exciting opportunity for a hardworking, organised individual, who is probably at the start of their career in publishing, to join Nosy Crow’s rights department as a Rights and Contracts Assistant. Impressive rights sales were a key reason we won the Queen’s Award for Enterprise: International Trade 2018 and The Bookseller International Achievement Award at the 2018 IPG Awards, and this is your chance to be part of and contribute to our success in this fast-moving, fascinating, international area of our business.
Purpose of the Job:
The role of the Rights and Contracts Assistant is to provide administrative support to the rights department to enable the sale of translation rights and co-editions of our frontlist and backlist, create contracts for all foreign rights and co-edition sales, and contribute to the smooth running of the department.
The Rights and Contracts Assistant reports to the Rights Manager (with, at least initially, a dotted line report to the Commercial Director, who is currently responsible for generating all of our contracts).
We are a very small team and we value the organisational and creative input that we can all provide to help shape our products to be the best they can be.
Key responsibilities and tasks:
- Creating and amending contracts for all foreign rights sales, and coordinating their sending and return
- Creating rights appointment schedules for all book fairs attended by the Nosy Crow rights-selling team
- Assisting in coordinating the sending out of the follow-up material after the fairs
- Assisting in organising selling material for the Bologna and Frankfurt fairs
- Organising appointment schedules and sales material for foreign trips outside of the main fairs
- Organising travel and accommodation arrangements for foreign trips, including fairs
- Updating the rights database containing information on all submissions, rejections and licences of our books
- Co-ordinating the mail-out of foreign copies to authors, illustrators and their agents
- Providing general administrative support required by the rights department
- Providing some general office administrative support
Key skills, characteristics and capabilities:
- Strong organisitional skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- The ability to multitask and prioritise tasks
- The ability to work under pressure
- Great initiative and the ability to work independently
- Strong numeracy skills
- Perfect written and spoken English as well as competence in at least one foreign language – Chinese Mandarin, Spanish and Portuguese are particularly sought after
- Excellent communication
- A strong interest in children’s literature
The successful candidate will have the right to live and work in the UK.
To apply, please email your CV, accompanied by a covering letter, to Kate Wilson ([email protected]) with the subject heading Rights Assistant, telling us where you heard about the job.
The closing date for applications is Monday 28 May at midnight (UK time).
Nosy Crow is an equal opportunities employer. We believe that employing a diverse workforce is an important factor in success and make recruiting decisions based on applicants’ experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.